If you're interested in adopting, you should start by filling out an application. You can print this and mail it by USPS, or paste it into a word processor and email it. Here's the form: application .
Send your application to: Iowa Parrot Rescue
2479 Golden Ave,
Letts, IA 52754
You'll also need to schedule a visit to us. We're located near Muscatine IA. We usually schedule visits on Saturdays, but can make other arrangements if your schedule needs a weekday. We'll be happy to send directions. Don't use Mapquest to get here; it has an error in our location. You CAN get a map and good directions HERE, or by using Google Maps. First, I need to meet you and get to know you. Then we need you to meet the birds, and see if they are in fact what you want, and how they respond to you. Then we'll talk extensively about their needs and yours, to see if it's a good fit. When you make an appointment, please try to be on time. I plan my schedule around visits. Our insurance company now requires that visitors sign a form releasing us from liability for injuries or damage.
If all of that goes well, I need to come visit your home. I have to look for safety, health, space, and all of the other things that will make it work for the birds. It's not an inspection, it's about making the fit right. I will have to ask you to pay for the gas for a home visit if you live more than 50 miles away. If everything is positive, we'll agree on the adoption. After that, you can start ordering a cage, toys, perches, playstands, foods, etc. When you have all those in place, it's time for the bird to move to your home.
Sometimes none of the birds we have are just right for an applicant. We'll try to let you know if a new bird that fits your situation comes in, but you'll want to occasionally check to see what new birds have arrived . The ones that are available for adoption will be listed on this page: Available. We usually don't charge any adoption fee, unless a bird has required expensive medical treatment. If there is any fee, it'll be noted in the listing on the Available page. We gladly accept donations. Ways to donate are discussed on the Support page.
A few things to be aware of:
1. We never place birds with smokers. This includes people who smoke only outside, at work, in the car, or anywhere.
2. We never ship birds anywhere.
3. We never place a bird with someone we haven't met, interviewed, and visited with, either here, in their home, or both.
4. We never place birds in breeding or resale situations. We don't hate breeders or retailers...we just can't give them birds.
5. If you adopt from us, you will sign a legally enforceable contract; you can read it here: Contracts
6. Partly because of the contract, but also for other reasons, we do not place birds with minors. Parents may NOT "sign for" their children to adopt, or make an adoption for them.